Search This Blog

Saturday, May 20, 2006

When I need a poem I turn to Mattie

This is a poem from the book
'Reflections of a Peacemaker'
by Mattie J.T. Stepanek
The Spirit of Success
It is in the spirit that makes school a success.
The spirit goes through different seasons,
And traveling through each season takes time.
During this time, many experiences
Affect the mind, and the heart,
And the essence of our being.
These experiences are shaped by people-
Our teachers, our friends, and our families.
Our spirits are gently, yet meaningfully
Touched, as we learn from these people.
And through these lessons,
We build our future and our life,
As we grow in the spirit of Success.
June 13 1999
I think Mattie was nine years old when he wrote that poem.
I find great wisdom in it.
Keep in mind how you may be shaping the spirits of others.
And how others touch your life.
It's something that has been on my mind as of late.
For more about Mattie Stepanek I am sure you can google it.
be you
Barbara

5 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That's pretty profound for a nine year old. How old is s/he now?

Barbara said...

He passed away in 2004 at the age of 14. He had a form of Muscular Distrophy. Oprah Winfrey gave a eulogy at his funeral. The stuff he faced in life shaped a very wise boy. I just love his poems.

Jas B said...

This is the gist of life.

Such wisdom, and at such an early age.I don't thinkI was capable of anything like that when I was nine.

Barbara said...

I agree Ellee. He has taught us so much about the human soul.

Anonymous said...

if there was ever a definition of an angel, Mattie was it. I wept the entire time I watched him as he battled through his struggle. He had such courage, grace and wisdom - more than any I know. I felt so bad for his mom after he'd passed. And I remember that every time I was feeling sorry for myself I'd think of him and his unbroken spirit and love of life. We should all have such insight....this child was a gift and hopefully we learned something through him.